I've been meaning to post this excerpt from "True to the Faith" for a while now and I'm just getting around to it.
pg. 103:
"Speaking to His disciples, the Savior commanded: "Be ye . . . merciful, as your Father also is merciful" (Luke 6:36). You can follow your Heavenly Father's example of mercy in your relationships with others. Strive to rid your life of arrogance, pride, and conceit. Seek ways to be compassionate, respectful, forgiving, gentle, and patient, even when you are aware of others' shortcomings. As you do so, your example will lead others to be more merciful, and you will have greater claim on the mercy of God."
This is something that I have kept on my bathroom mirror for at least a year, maybe more. It has helped me remember who I am and who I should be when I have come upon a situation where I am tempted to judge someone else. (I don't think it's any secret that I can be very judgemental and opinionated and no, it wasn't you that I had a problem with.) Sometimes it might be Justin or my kids. It might be a friend, loved-one, a sibling, a parent whose kid is on my kid's team. I have learned that I am the one at fault, not the other person, no matter who they are. It is the Savior's job to judge, not mine. I am expected to love others and that's all. I have discovered that there is greater peace in finding something to love than in finding fault.
Maybe I sound a bit like a hypocrite. Well, I am only sharing what I have discovered to be true, not what I have perfected. I'm working on it.
Thanks for sharing this Heather. I too have been trying really hard to work on this part of my life. I can feel Heavenly Father helping me as I ask for help and truly try to do better at not judging and leaving that to our Heavenly Father. It makes me feel at peace. We are praying for Justin and all of you and hope everything turns out fine. Love you all! KaraDawn
ReplyDelete