Monday, June 29, 2009

Monday

 

We went to the park tonight to listen to a free concert by the Utah Symphony. They had fireworks too. It was pretty impressive to see the fireworks coordinate with the live music. We all enjoyed the music, even the kids.

On our way back to the car we had to walk along a canal road. The canal had trees hanging down into the water and there were lots of weeds growing in the water. He thought it looked like a swamp with alligators in it (he actually thought of this on our way in to the park). So as we started walking back to the car, he told me that he was creeped out. I reassured him that there were no alligators in the entire state of Utah or Washington, Idaho, Oregon, and California (the only states he has really heard of). I told him that alligators were in Florida and Georgia. He paused for minute and then this is how the conversation went:

Kale: Mom, are there alligators in Spain?
Me: I don't think so Kale.
Kale: Good, 'cause I want to go on my mission to Spain. That's were Dad went on his mission.
Me: That sounds great buddy.
pause. . .
Kale: Spain, that sound like a funny name. (giggle, giggle) Spain (giggle, giggle)
Me: (giggle)
Kale: Did you just laugh?
Me: Yes.
Kale: What did you laugh about?
Me: You. You say funny things. I think it's funny that you think Spain is a funny name.
Kale: Yeah, it's funny that you think Spain is a funny name too.
Me: No, I said I think it's funny that you think Spain is funny.
Kale: You think it's. . funny. . .that I. . . never mind. I don't get it.

I talked to Justin today (he's in Philmont, NM at a boy scout training camp). He said he and Kai are having a good time. They ran into the Child's yesterday. Today they met a lot of people that he has common friends with. He estimated that there are about 500 people there and that they have met about 100 of them. He said he has met several people that once they get talking, realize they know someone in common. One guy came up to Justin and called him "Jenks". He asked if Justin knew Kevin and Jay. When Justin answered that they were his uncles, the guy said, "You must be John's son then." He told Justin how he had been a wrestler at USU after John had been there and John had left a reputation of hard work that no one could follow. He said the coach would tell them about John Jenks and how hard he worked. That would have been several years after John had attended USU. He said John was an incredible wrestler. He actually wrestled against Jay, who attend Ricks College.

Kai had a chance to help; out with a flag ceremony in his full scout uniform this morning. This afternoon had bow and arrow practice and rifle practice. He had a good time and was a good shot.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment