Tuesday, September 21, 2010

I just wanted to share two things that have given me strength in the last couple of days. 

I don't get to attend the Relief Society meeting at church on Sundays because I play the piano in primary but that's okay because the RS president sends an email to all those who miss, recapping the lesson and any announcements.  I love those emails, thank you!!!  This week really touched my heart and I had to open my RS book to read more.  The lesson was entitled "The Church of Jesus Christ in Former Times".  It points out that Jesus personally led the church when he was here on the earth but received his instruction from Father in Heaven (Hebrews 1:1-2).  He taught that revelation (receiving Heavenly instruction) was the "rock" upon which He would build His church (Matthew 16:16-18).  He continued to guide His church on the earth even after he was no longer on the earth by sending revelation through the Holy Ghost to his apostles at that time.  Joseph Smith received instructions from Jesus Christ in how to restore His church  and lead the saints in latter days.  Thomas S Monson receives instruction today from Jesus Christ through the Holy Ghost.  President Monson guides the saints on the path that the Savior has set before us that we might return to live with our Father in Heaven.  I, too, can receive revelation.  Not for the saints of the church, but for myself.  I can receive revelation from Jesus Christ through the gift of the Holy Ghost.  As I seek, He will send the knowledge that I need and want.  I know that Joseph Smith was a true prophet of God, that he led the church in his day.  I know that President Monson is a prophet of God today, leading and guiding us in the world at this time.  I love the blessing of revelation.

Here is the other thing that I wanted to share.  Monday night we had been invited to family home evening at the Allred's with the Lees and the Franks and the missionaries.  We had a salmon dinner and then Allreds went with Elder Lyons to another appointment, Franks went home to put their kids to bed, and Elder Romero showed the Lees and us a movie about Joseph Smith.  When the movie was done, I bore my testimony and then Elder Romero asked Becca to bear hers.  We had a closing prayer and went home.  Kale later told me that when I was telling my story (bearing my testimony) he thought he was almost going to cry but it was a good feeling.  I told him that was the Spirit and he was very excited to think that he felt the Spirit.  He prayed that night that Heavenly Father would help him feel the Spirit at church.  I love seeing my children grow closer to Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.  I love to see them seek after righteousness.  I love to watch their faith grow.  It only helps me grow too.

Don't get me wrong, we're certainly not perfect.  This was just an uplifting moment in our otherwise crazy lives.  I live for those moments that make our home a little bit closer to heaven.  They bring me such joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment