Kale couldn't decide if he needed me to walk him to school today. All the kids walked together and they tried to convince him that they could drop him off. In the end, he decided he wanted me to go with him. Once we got over there, he almost left me behind. So, he didn't really need me after all. Good. He's growing up. I think it helps that he knows Mr. Buster and trusts him. So, there's no worry about what his teacher will be like. He didn't even give me a kiss and hug which is tradition every day for the past two years (preschool and kindergarten). He at least yelled bye to me. A twinge of sadness to know that my little sweety-boy is growing up and doesn't need me as much anymore. Mostly though, I feel great relief and triumph that we conquered his fear of school. Okay, his fear of the first day of school. I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch.
Hadley was definitely nervous. She couldn't eat breakfast and it took her at least 15 minutes of thinking about swallowing her antibiotic before she actually did it. I made her eat some banana after she got her pill down. I had to write her a note to come home for lunch because she has to take another pill and she's nervous about that. It'll be fun to hear all about her morning when she gets home. She has Mr. Skeen for a teacher. He only teaches in the morning and she'll go to a different classroom for reading so she really probably won't be with him much. She's very excited.
Kai started the morning off with a new shirt on but by the time we left the house, he changed into a t-shirt that he's been wearing all summer. One of his favorites. I'm not sure if that's more cool or more comfortable, maybe both. He also decided yesterday that he's going to try cross-country this year, not football. Justin's not thrilled because he thinks Kai will miss out on some way important skill or something. Football is everything here in Royal. Some say that the kids should play all the team sports now because this is the time in your life when you can. Some say that kids should just play the sport that interests them and have a fun time.
I think Seila is just very excited for high school. She put on her favorite outfit and decided to walk with us instead of ride her bike. I think she thinks it's not cool to ride a bike in high school. She'll be able to get rides from friends when seminary starts on Monday. Seminary? Ahhh! I can't believe it. She's going to love seminary!

Oh my word you have a high schooler!!!!!!!!!! Hope their first day goes good:)
ReplyDeleteWOW! They look so grown up! I still can't believe Seila is in High School. I still remember the day you brought her home from the hospital. I am starting to feel old! :) Hope they had a great first day of school.
ReplyDeleteGet out!! Seila is in high school now? They all look great.
ReplyDeleteSo awesome. Had a great time while we were home and loved the time we could spend with all of you. We went over a pass the was 9600 ft today and it was snowing. I thought it super depressing. I will be glad to get back to warm weather. Go to Martin's Cove tomorrow. Excited about that.
ReplyDelete