This was officially a successful first day of school for everyone in our house. Kale came home just as happy and excited as when he yelled bye to me this morning. He made sure to tell me that he got a "B" buck today (the kids earn Buster Bucks with good behavior and then can save up to buy cool pencils and stuff). He was definitely on a high and was obnoxious over the top a few times so he had a time out while I was trying to get dinner ready.
Hadley came home for lunch so she could take her pill and told me that she gets to sit next to her friend Sariah. She misses her friend Hannah. She got to make her science notebook and is very excited to have Mr. Skeen, although he only teaches in his classroom in the mornings. In the afternoon he tutors math in the other grades and Mrs. Schrom teaches in his class in the afternoon. She said Mrs. Schrom will be just fine too.
Kai said school was great. So far he thinks Mrs. Eilers is funny and he already has two pages in his journal for her class (4 pages/wk is the requirement). Seila warned him about Mrs. Eilers language and he quickly responded with his plan to ask her not to swear during their class time. Wow! Can't wait for that phone call.
Seila is super disappointed in her locker assignment. It's so small, she said, that she's not even sure how her books will fit in there. Her binder doesn't fit. Experiences parents of Royal High schoolers, what are the freshman supposed to do? Carry their books in their packs all day long? She's going to go early tomorrow to see what she can figure out. She's pretty happy so far with all her teachers, except science. She didn't get the new guy, who is also our new neighbor. Her teacher is hard of hearing and she and Jackson are the only kids in a class full of naughty and obnoxious kids who don't mind getting in trouble. Ugh! What to do. She already asked for help with her geometry homework (homework on the first day, I LOVE that!) and then realized how easy it was once I showed her.
What did I do? I can't remember.
Oh yeah, I blogged first thing. Then I entertained Ben while Jen took Detton to kindergarten orientation. Next I made nectarine jam and then Kai came home. He was psyched and pumped so we got right down to business with the math. We worked together on the art easel white board and then we raced to simplify products of polynomials. Hadley came home for lunch, ate, then left. Kai started working on history and we realized he forgot a bunch that he learned at the end of last year. So, a little review was needed. The internet was too slow for the review activity on line!!! I got frustrated and sent in the email to order the fiber upgrade. Haven't heard back yet and if they don't reply to my request soon, I'll drop them and pick up the other company.
I dont' remember much of the rest of the day other than I made tomato soup from scratch with tomatoes from the garden and wheat bread for dinner. I also managed to teach a piano lesson after school and fold one basket of laundry. Dinner time was full of stories, one after another, and sometimes on top of each other. I couldn't hardly keep my attention on one kid before another one would start. Justin headed off to Othello for a mtg and I had a SummerFest mtg here in Royal. Yes, planning for next year. I'd love to quit but I just can't bring myself to do that until someone else (must be competant) volunteers. Any takers?
I am not sure how I will survive my kids going to school because all those big words you just used went right over my head. How did I ever get through High school myself. It really does make me a little nervous. Glad the first day went so well.
ReplyDelete